Information for Remodeling Projects
Before your new granite countertops are measured and installed, there are some important details you need to know. Please read all of the information carefully to ensure that you receive the best possible service and satisfaction with your natural stone countertops.
- In order to obtain accurate measurements for your new countertops and/or backsplashes, in some cases the existing countertops must be removed prior to the measuring process. If ceramic tiles are located above your countertop, the bottom few rows may need to be removed also. Coastal Stone can provide the removal of your existing countertops and tile backsplash. Contact your salesperson for pricing.
- All connections must be cut off, including plumbing, gas, and electrical, by a licensed professional. Coastal Stone installation teams are not licensed to perform this work and do not want to damage your fixtures or jeopardize the safety of your home. Please contact an electrician/plumber to arrange the disconnection and reconnection of these services.
- You should expect some dust to settle after the removal and installation of your countertops. Please be prepared to wipe up dust for a few days. To minimize the spread of dust in your home, you want to partition off the work area from other parts of your home and turn off your air conditioning system.
- Surface mount sinks, cooktop cutouts, and minor adjustments are completed after the countertops are installed requiring our installation team to cut, grind, or polish the product in your home. The amount of dust that may result from this procedure varies; the work area as well as other areas of your residence may become saturated with natural stone dust.
- Owner should have all existing countertops totally cleared off at the time of installation; also, all base cabinets and drawers need to be empty and cleared at time of installation.
- Mirrors in bathrooms that are affixed to the wall and resting on or within 1” of the top of the existing backsplash or countertop must be removed before tearout.
- Please provide a clear walking path to your home. The stone is very heavy and our employees need to access from where they park their trucks to your doorway. Keep in mind that the path must be of sufficient size since they will be carrying large pieces of countertop material and cannot carry these items through tight corners.
- Unsupported overhang cannot exceed 1/3 of the supported top to a maximum of 8 inches. Supports (i.e. corbels or brackets) must be installed by the homeowner or contractor prior to granite installation.
Appliances and Fixtures:
- All fixtures (sinks, cooktops, downdrafts, faucets, hot water dispenser, etc) that will be used in conjunction with your countertops should be available on the job site at the time of measurement to ensure proper suitability and accurate measurements. For undermount sinks, we must have the actual sink.
- Once the installation is complete, countertops will require mandatory setting time of overnight, but optimally should be allowed to set for 24 hours before reconnecting utilities or installing any fixtures. Coastal Stone will mount undermount sinks and you are responsible for scheduling a licensed professional to reconnect fixtures and utility connections.
- For a $20.00 charge, Coastal Stone will provide and adhere the clips for attaching the dishwasher to the countertops if the dishwasher is set in place. If not, we will leave the clips on-site for the plumber or homeowner to install.
About Your Installation:
- The installation process will require the use of epoxies, silicones, and sealers. The odors that result from these substances may be offensive to some individuals. We recommend that individuals who are sensitive to these types of fumes not be present during the completion of any work. Additionally, we recommend opening doors and windows for ventilation.
- Countertops will be leveled to adjoining tops; this may require the use of wood or plastic shims between the supporting structure and tops.
- All granite slabs are cut in straight lines. If the walls are not square, there may be a gap or noticeable space between the countertops and the wall.
- Caulking is done only in areas where stone meets stone.
- To help ensure customer satisfaction, we ask that any installation work be inspected for quality and suitability within 10 business days. By helping to review workmanship in a timely fashion, you will minimize any time needed to make additional adjustments and ensure your happiness with your product.